Every year around the holidays, I buy my mom books. My process historically has been to spend hours reading all the best books of the year lists and form a mental consensus about which books she’d like. This year, I found Daily Beast’s list of lists, which takes 40 total best of lists from places like the New Yorker, The Guardian, NPR, etc and counts the total votes each book gets. The result is a list of 10 books that everyone likes. This is much easier. The fiction list is below*, but they also have a non-fiction list.
1. Tenth of December: Stories by George Saunders (15 votes)
2. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (14 votes)
3. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (12 votes)
4. The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner (9 votes)
5. (tie) The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. by Adelle Waldman (8 votes)
5. (tie) The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton (8 votes)
7. (tie) The Circle by Dave Eggers (7 votes)
7. (tie) The Son by Philip Meyer (7 votes)
7. (tie) Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (7 votes)
10. (tie) Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon (6 votes)
10. (tie) The Signature of All Things by Elisabeth Gilbert (6 votes)
10. (tie) The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (6 votes)
*I am an Amazon affiliate now (again, actually), so let sweet commerce rain down upon me.